This program will be held online via Zoom. All registrants will receive the link to join the program in their Order Confirmation email. Times are ET.
This year-long online program begins and ends with day-long workshops. In between, we will meet on the second Friday evening of each month (except August and October*). Dates are:
• Saturday, January 20: 10:00am – 4:00pm
• Saturday, December 7: 10:00am – 4:00pm
• Fridays, 6:00 – 8:30pm: February 9, March 8, April 12, May 10, June 14, July 12, September 13, October 4*, November 8
The Seven Factors of Awakening, the bojjhangas, are seven beautiful qualities that are naturally present in an awakened heart and mind. Known as “inner wealth”, they are deeply valued as part of Buddhist practice. Cultivating and understanding the Seven Factors can deepen our practice and our commitment to awakening. These qualities lead to lightness of heart and happiness. They are:
According to the Buddha, practicing and living these Seven Factors incline the mind toward ease and freedom. They counteract the Five Hindrances, the states of mind that keep us stuck in delusion. The Buddha called the Seven Factors the anti-hindrances. We will explore how we can skillfully use the enlightenment factors when experiencing the hindrances.
We have a precious opportunity to learn within a committed and dedicated community (sangha) for an extended period of time. Together, we will come to recognize, strengthen, and balance each of these seven qualities in formal practice and in daily life.
This program is designed for those willing to look deeply within and to practice in a contemplative and lively community. It is appropriate for both new and experienced meditators of all ages and all levels of experience. People who have taken this program before are encouraged to take it again, as the Seven Factors of Awakening grow deeper and more profound with practice. Everyone is welcome.
Each session will include meditation practice, teachings, exploration, and discussion of how to practice the Seven Factors of Awakening in daily life. Mindful home practices between sessions are essential.
Our intention is to support your practice throughout your year-long commitment. In addition to class meetings, you will:
- Receive monthly reflections and practice assignments.
- Connect with your Dharma buddies, either weekly or monthly, to support each other and deepen your investigation.
- Have the opportunity to join an optional 4-day residential retreat* intended for participants in this program which will be held at the Barre Center for Buddhist Studies (BCBS).
Full and partial scholarships are available up to 72 hours before the start of the program. This program will not be recorded. For questions about this program, please send an email to email@example.com
* The optional 4-day residential retreat for participants in this program will be held at the Barre Center for Buddhist Studies from Friday, July 26 to Tuesday, July 30, 2024. Registration is through BCBS. This retreat is NOT included in the cost of this program. CIMC cannot provide scholarships for this retreat however you may contact BCBS about their generous scholarship policy.
(Closed Captions (CC) for CIMC Programs are generated through “livestreaming” via Rev.com. CIMC programs are not livestreamed to any other platform for any other use.)