The Lead Cook is a volunteer who is responsible for planning and cooking simple meals for CIMC retreats. CIMC provides training, mentoring, and the option of using pre-planned meals and grocery delivery service. An Assistant Cook and yogis attending retreat work in the kitchen with a Lead Cook.
Skills, Experience, and Qualities
- One or more of the following is preferred:
- experience cooking for large groups.
- has assisted with cooking at a CIMC retreat/has shadowed one of the other Lead Cooks.
- has attended a CIMC cooks training.
- Very organized, enjoys planning and shopping within a budget.
- Able to kindly and skillfully manage people, delegate tasks and stay calm when busy.
- Plan, prepare, and cook a simple vegetarian lunch for 25-80 people in 3.5 hours on site. Recipe options will be provided.
- Work within a given budget. Cooks can choose to shop themselves or when using CIMC provided recipes, have CIMC place the order and arrange delivery.
- Guide the Assistant Cook and up to 4 volunteers in meal preparation and dining room set-up.
- Responsible for Kitchen and Food Safety.
- Cook for 2 to 4 weekend retreat days per year (as Lead Cook or Assistant Cook)
- 4 hours on retreat mornings, plus 3-5 hours planning and shopping if you choose not to use pre-planned menus.
- One-year initial commitment preferred.
The Lead Cook may attend the day of the retreat that they are cooking for once their responsibilities have been fulfilled (unless there are specific requirements to attend the retreat which the cook does not meet, e.g. under 35, experienced practitioner etc.) This role is eligible for work exchange up to 9 hours.
Cambridge, MA 02139
- Attend cooks training
- The shadowing of a current Lead Cook may be scheduled as needed.