The Lead Cook is a volunteer role responsible for planning and cooking meals for CIMC retreats.
Skills, Experience, and Qualities
- Has been an Assistant Cook at least twice at a CIMC retreat. (Required)
- Has one or more of the following: experience cooking for large groups, attended CIMC cooks training, and/or shadowed one of the other Lead Cooks.
- Extremely organized, enjoys planning, can shop within a budget, able to kindly and skillfully manage people and delegate tasks, stays calm under pressure, intermediate cooking skills, flexibility, ability to transport large quantities of food from grocery store to CIMC.
- Plan full vegetarian lunch for 25-50 people
- For longer retreats, plan an additional smaller meal or “snack”
- Shop and purchase food within a given budget (You will be reimbursed for costs)
- Bring groceries to Center by morning of retreat. (Food may be stored in CIMC’s refrigerator the day before the retreat)
- Explain Kitchen Safety rules to everyone who assists in the kitchen
- Coordinate, prepare and cook the meal
- Guide the Assistant Cook and 4-6 yogi volunteers in preparing the meal and setting up the dining room
- One-year commitment (renewable)
- 2-4 retreat days per year (as Lead Cook or Assistant Cook)
- 3-5 hours before retreat for menu planning and shopping
- 4 hours, weekend day of retreat 9:00am- approximately 1:00pm, for cooking.
he Lead Cook may attend the day of the retreat that they are cooking for once their responsibilities have been fulfilled (unless there are specific requirements to attend the retreat which the cook does not meet, e.g. under 35, experienced practitioner etc.) This role is eligible for work exchange up to 9 hours.
Cambridge, MA 02139
- 2-hour Cooks Training offered twice per year.
- The shadowing of a current Lead Cook may be scheduled as needed.