Registration for this program is closed as it has reached capacity.
This program will be held in person at our center in Cambridge with CIMC’s Covid protocols in place:
- All participants must be fully vaccinated and document their Covid vaccination status via CrowdPass prior to arrival. You will be invited to do so upon registration for the program.
- Masks must be worn while inside the meditation center, except during lunch. (A vegetarian meal will be provided on both days—see our additional information tab.)
This retreat is limited to 48 participants. Registration will close at 4:00pm on Thursday, March 31st. Late and walk-in registration will not be available.
In this weekend retreat we will turn our attention to the “Four Beautiful Qualities of Heart” known as the Brahmaviharas, or Divine Abodes: loving-kindness, compassion, empathetic joy, and equanimity. Each of us has the inherent capacity to strengthen these qualities in our own hearts and minds. Through practice they become our dwelling places where we feel “at home”, not merely places we visit on occasion.
Knowing, recognizing, and cultivating these qualities is essential, particularly in the midst of this polarized world. Encouraging friendliness towards oneself and all beings, alleviating suffering via reaching out with compassion, delighting in the joys of life and appreciating the good fortune of others, and steadying and balancing the mind; these are indeed qualities of heart worth cultivating.
There are specific instructions and practices for cultivating each of the four Brahmaviharas, and over the course of the weekend we will practice with each one. We will investigate:
- Loving-Kindness on Saturday morning.
- Compassion on Saturday afternoon.
- Joy on Sunday morning; and
- Equanimity on Sunday afternoon.
This program is appropriate for both new and experienced meditators. Everyone is welcome.
Our time together will include guided meditation periods, talks, mindful movement and time for discussion and questions. Over the course of the two days we will build a sense of a practice community. Single-day registration is not available.
Full and partial scholarships are available.