This is part two of a two-part workshop and will meet on the following dates:
- Saturday, June 1: 10:00am–2:00pm; and
- Sunday, June 23: 2:00–5:30pm
This two-part workshop is intended for those who are interested in pursuing hospice training and/or who want to gain more awareness of being with people who are facing life-limiting illness. It is not recommended for anyone who has experienced the loss of a loved one within the past year.
We will explore hospice teachings and exercises that may add richness to being with those dealing with terminal illness -- both the ones who are ill and the loved ones surrounding them. Although this is not a hospice training program for a specific hospice, we will investigate important issues that arise in working with the dying and their families based on hospice teachings. Some topics will include readings, discussions, exercises that will help facilitate being present to those dealing with terminal and other serious illness. Also, we will look at our own way of being with ourselves at such a time.
Areas we will explore include:
- The Dying Process: What you might see, what to expect and ways to sit with the actively dying.
- Listening and Communication: What is the difference between reacting and responding? How might our views, judgments and fears separate us from being as present as possible to those who are dying. How can we hold our reactions with kindness?
- Creating a Safe Space: How can we be fully present while maintaining a safe boundary for ourselves and for those we are being present to? How do we navigate community at this time?
Space will be limited to 12 participants.
If you are interested in attending this program, please send an email to Nancy Barcelo at email@example.com, or call at 617.312.4260. Include your name, email address and phone number and write a brief paragraph saying why you are interested in being part of this workshop, and what you would hope to learn. We will contact you as soon as possible to let you know if a space is available. Online registration for this program is not available.
This workshop is being offered on a dana basis through the generosity of the facilitators. Though there is no set fee, participants will have the opportunity to make a financial contribution to CIMC on the day of the program.