|This Beginners’ Workshop will include formal meditation instruction, guided sitting and walking practice, and group discussion as we explore the basics of Insight Meditation (Vipassana). During our time together, participants will learn how to meditate along with others who are in the beginning stages of practice. There will be ample opportunity to ask questions.
This day-long program is appropriate for people who have little or no meditation experience, for those who are relatively new to Insight Meditation, and for anyone who would like to revisit the basics of meditation and deepen their practice. All are welcome.
NOTE: Participants are asked to bring a vegetarian lunch to this workshop as the schedule will not allow enough time to go out for lunch.
Please click the “MORE INFORMATION” tab, above, for general information about workshops at CIMC.
Beginners’ Insight Meditation Workshop (Feb 2018)
|Program Type:||Workshop, Beginner|
|Time:||10:00 am - 4:30 pm|
|Start Date:||Saturday - February 3, 2018|
Registration for this program is closed.
There are no prerequisites for this program. Everyone is welcome.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes early to check in and to find a comfortable place in the meditation hall.
- Parking at CIMC is limited; we suggest taking public transportation to the Center whenever possible.
- Lunch will not be provided. Participants are invited to bring their own vegetarian meal to the Center or may buy lunch in the neighborhood. A list of local restaurants and food stores will be available.
- Food and beverages, including water, are not allowed in the meditation halls.
- We strongly recommend you dress in layers since the temperature in the meditation hall will vary throughout the day. The hall thermostat is set to a comfortable temperature; however, please give yourself a range of clothing options, as individual preferences for warmth or coolness differ widely and cannot be accommodated.
- Please be sure to leave shoes on the shoe shelves on the first floor, and to keep your valuables with you at all times.
- CIMC provides zafus (round cushions), zabutons (large mats), meditation benches, blankets and chairs for your use. At the end of the program, we request that participants brush off their zabuton and plump up their zafu. All other items should be returned neatly to where they were found.
- While at the Center all phones, pagers, beeping watches and other electronic devices must remain completely turned off at all times.
- Some people who practice at the Center have chemical sensitivities or environmental illnesses and experience adverse reactions when exposed to scented products. CIMC is a refuge. Out of compassion for those with chemical sensitivities, please avoid using scented products—lotions, deodorant, after-shave, hair products, perfume, clothes laundered with scented detergent or dryer sheets—before you come to the Center.