Rooted in the Theravada Buddhist tradition, the Cambridge Insight Meditation Center is a welcoming refuge and teaching Center for all who seek inner peace through the liberating practice of Insight Meditation (vipassana). As a community of practitioners, and as an institution, we endeavor to follow the Buddha’s path of ethics, tranquility, wisdom and compassion. An urban center, CIMC is dedicated to the integration of practice into every aspect of community and daily life.
CIMC’s Core Values are grounded in the teachings of the Buddha.
The Dharma: We dedicate ourselves to the ethics of the Five Precepts and the liberation framework of the Four Noble Truths.
Wisdom and Compassion: The teachings of wisdom and compassion guide our work and our daily relationships at CIMC and in the larger world.
Generosity: We actively cultivate open-hearted practice of generosity (dana). We recognize that generosity is a foundational, transformative practice on the path of awakening as well as an opportunity for individuals to support the Center and the CIMC community.
Personal Responsibility and Capacity: We are all responsible for our own ethical behavior, actions, feelings and happiness, and we are all capable of realizing liberation.
Diversity and Inclusion: We are dedicated to creating a welcoming community for people of all cultural and religious backgrounds, race, socio-economic class, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, education, and physical ability. CIMC is committed to making the Buddha’s teachings available to everyone regardless of financial circumstances.
Stewardship: We undertake responsible stewardship of financial, human and natural resources for future generations. We are committed to the development and maintenance of a healthy, responsive organization with stability and clear purpose. We recognize our ongoing personal and collective responsibility to sustain CIMC.
Simplicity. We value simplicity and moderation in life as a way of embodying the Dharma.
- CIMC is a vibrant and relevant center of Dharma practice and learning.
- CIMC is financially stable, with a balanced budget, broad donor base, and sufficient contingency funds.
- Generosity is a shared community value and is experienced as an opportunity
for people to deepen their practice and to support the practice of others.
- The programs offered at CIMC are available to all, regardless of personal circumstances.
- CIMC provides a safe and supportive environment for all members of its sangha to practice and participate according to their individual needs.
- CIMC teachers are well supported in their teaching.
- CIMC is efficiently run with a well-supported staff, a diverse, engaged and committed board, and a large, active volunteer community.
- Our building and gardens are beautiful and well-maintained.